While Strawberries are taking center stage, don’t forget its carrot season too! You’ll find farm fresh carrots and eggs at Blue Moon Acres, they also carry walnuts, and Cottage Spice Co has the spices for this simple to make Carrot Cake that we tried and tested from Ina Garten, Barfoot Contessa recipe! Decorated with Sciascia Confections Macarons!
What you’ll need:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1- 1/3 cups vegetable oil
- 3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 pound carrots, grated
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Ginger Mascarpone Frosting (recipe follows)
- Crystallized ginger (not in syrup), chopped, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease 2 (9 x 2-inch) round cake pans, line the bottoms with parchment paper, and grease and flour the pans.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the sugar, oil, and eggs on medium-high speed for 2 minutes, until light yellow and thickened. Stir in the vanilla. In another bowl, sift together the 2 cups of flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ones.
In a medium bowl, toss the carrots, raisins, walnuts, and the 1 tablespoon of flour. Stir into the batter with a rubber spatula. Divide the batter between the prepared pans and smooth the tops. Bake for 10 minutes, lower the heat to 350 degrees, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 15 minutes, turn out onto a baking rack, and cool completely.
Place one cake on a flat serving plate, rounded side down. Spread half the frosting on the top (not the sides). Place the second cake on top of the first cake, rounded side up. Frost just the top of the second cake. Sprinkle with the ginger and serve at room temperature.
Ginger Mascarpone Frosting (Frosts one 9-inch Cake)
- 12 ounces Italian mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 cup minced crystallized ginger (not in syrup)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the mascarpone, cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, cream, and vanilla together for about 1 minute, until light and fluffy. Add the crystallized ginger and salt and beat for 30 seconds more.